This pie is what I dream my breakfast could be every day. Sub flaky piecrust for toast and lather on lots and lots both of lemon curd AND lemon marmalade. Sub in ice cream or whipped cream for your yogurt. I will be sad to return to my toast when it is all gone...and I love toast.
1 9" single pie crust
4 small or 2 large lemons
1 3/4 C sugar
1/4 TSP salt
4 TBSP melted butter
3 TBSP flour
1. Wash and dry the lemons thoroughly. Zest them and place the zest and sugar into a large (non metal) bowl. Slice the lemons very thinly by hand or using a mandoline and remove the seeds.
2. Bring some water to a boil, then add the lemons for one minute, then quickly remove and add them to ice water to quickly cool for 1 minute. Strain them lemons to remove most of the excess liquid. Add the lemons to sugar and zest and stir to combine. Let them sit at room temperature for 6 hours (the will form a thickened, syrupy lemon sugar mixture during this time.
3. When the lemons are ready to go, preheat the oven to 425F, roll out and prepare your crust, place it in the pan and put it in the fridge while you finish preparing the filling.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until frothy. Add the butter and flour and mix to combine. Finally stir that into the lemon mixture.
5. Pour the filling into the piecrust and bake for 30 minutes at 425F, then turn down the heat to 350F and bake for 15-25 more minutes until the filling is set. Remove and let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*It is fine and good warm, and you will not be able to resist its smell, but believe me enjoy it warm, then store it in your fridge and wait for the true treat to come once it is cold the next morning! Or if your ridiculously patient, you can wait to cut into it until then...I definitely was not.